Wednesday, August 24, 2011

News and Things!

If you follow indie cartoonist/publisher news at all, I'm sure you have heard about what's going on with my boss, the head dude behind Sparkplug Comic Books. If you don't, well ... he is having some major health issues and those cost a lot of money. Folks much more eloquent than me have written about it, like Rob Clough (who is also a great comics reviewer). Dylan is probably the sweetest person on the planet, and a great boss, who gave me a job so I would stop bitching about Austin English stealing my carrots. If you would like to help him out, the best way is to .... order books from us! We publish a ton of great stuff and distro some really amazing titles too!

Here are my top ten Sparkplug Books (not in order):

1. Gay Genius Anthology (seriously, one of the best books I have ever read)
2. Flesh and Bone (weirdly sexual witchiness)
3. Whirlwind Wonderland (journal comics!)
4. The Heavy Hand (a bizarre, twisted trip)
5. David King's books (I don't understand them, but I like them. Also, his twitter is hilarious.)
6. Edison Steelhead's Lost Portfolio (drawings of girls and rabbits)
7. The Airy Tales (so, so pretty!)
8. Passage (Beautiful drawings. The story really reminded me of my adolescence.)
9. Reich Series (Orgone! Drama! Psychology!)
10. Asiaddict (a really cool travelogue)

Tomorrow I will try to put up my favorite distro books!

My other news item is that I will be doing the Pop-Up Shop again for Last Thursday. This month the artists will be Kortni Bottini, Patrick Devine, Andrice Arp, Emily Nilsson and Theo Ellsworth. The gallery is located in the northside alley between 28th and 29th on NE Alberta St. It's open from 5-10pm this Thursday, August 25th. Hope to see you there!

No comments: