Patreon! I wanted to make early updates more accessible and make the $5/month level a little bit sweeter for y'all. If you are a $5 patron and don't have copies of Mushroom Guardians or Milkyboots #15, please message me your address and I will send them to you.
And now, news:
-I got a new job! It's at a local arts and crafts supply store. It's giving me lots of ideas for things to make.
-I just finished a 10-day house/dog sit. Running back and forth between the new job, my house and the house of the pup was pretty exhausted and I ended up spending a lot of time playing Diablo 3* to recover instead of drawing. Here's a weird thing about other people's houses: they don't usually have good drawing spaces haha. I'm glad to be back at my house and have enough time to make it to my studio.
-I got into Short Run! I'll be up in Seattle November 5th, hopefully with a new minicomic or zine. I didn't get into Emerald City Comic-Con, but I didn't really think I would.
-I'll start my "Month of Favorite Characters" project (available for $5+ patrons) on September 1st. First up: the biologist from the Southern Reach Trilogy.
Things I've been enjoying:
-#trashcake plays Bioshock Infinite. Writer Soha Kareem and game dev Scott Benson play Binfinite, talk about problematic themes and writing decisions, and make jokes about ghost queefs and man-sized raccoons.
-Your Black Friend by Ben Passmore (Silver Sprocket, 2016).
-Stay Crazy by Erica Satifka (Apex, 2016).
Thanks for reading! <3 p="">
*Smashing barrels and bashing monster heads is pretty good stress relief.
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Thursday, August 11, 2016
Well dang, it's been a week for me! I was double pet-sitting this weekend, plus going home to give Lyra her medicine, so I've been doing a lot of running around. The exercise has been good for my brain chemistry, so that's been nice. Next week I'll be taking care of a bulldog, a cat and a rabbit!
I've had two job interviews, so things are looking up in that department.
In creative/doing stuff news:
- I put my diary comics zine up on etsy. It's $3 and includes all the comics I did for my Patreon supporters.
- Free Code Camp (the site I was using to learn code) jumped way too far ahead for me, so I am supplementing it with Codecademy and some YouTube tutorials. I'll cobble together a portfolio site eventually!
- For Patreon supporters, I am hoping to put together a sketchbook PDF this week and start another month-long project. I am thinking of doing 28 days of my favorite characters this time. These will probably be collected into a zine for Short Run in November.
- Haven't done much writing, either for the WHYs or for my Twine game. Hopefully next week.
- rachelsarahlevy's mixes on 8tracks, particularly the "x was 20 Years Ago" ones. I listened to them while cleaning and got sent into a Tori Amos spiral. Little Earthquakes is a really good album!
- Noel Heimpel's Ignition Zero is on hiatus so now is a good time to catch up before the epilogue. Gorgeous queer urban magic comics.
- Austin Walker's games writing, particularly "Real Human Beings", "Me, On the Screen" and his first impressions of No Man's Sky. His writing is aware in a really personal, enjoyable and intelligent way.
- Everything O Horvath does. Weird queer fantasy illustration and comics, populated by chubby cuties and futuristic horrors.
- My friend and wonderful human being Kevin Czap's Kickstarter. Czap Books puts out the best comics, for real.